Monday, January 15, 2007

OFF THE SHELF:-

I don’t usually do these year in review thingy’s, but inspired by Dori and Tanya, and for lack on anything else to post, here too is my 2006 books in review :

ENJOYABLE READS:

1. Kafka on the Shore – Haruki Murakami
Kafka is delightful. The puzzles enthralled me, the characters
were colourful and the journey was never dull. It had a fascinating strangeness and even if by the end of it there is no great epiphany and it doesn’t necessarily all add up, it is still my favourite book of 2006.

2. Perfume – Patrick Suskind
Interesting book.
The characters (especially the main character) are strange, complex and fascinating and reflect our (people) nasty sides with loads of irony and brilliance. I loved learning about the science and craft of perfume making and exploring and understanding the motivations and thoughts of the murderer, to the extent that I eventually sympathised with him far more than I did his victims.

3. The Night Watch – Sarah Waters

Not a favourite, (but not too bad either) especially because I
don’t usually enjoy stories set in or about war and this is. But having really enjoyed her last 3 books, I took a chance. It’s a well-written book, she starts at the end of the story and works forwards, which does work, but I was disappointed with it as a whole and compared to her previous books, her characters seemed less interesting and a little plain. I also found the story unsentimental. I reckon if you enjoy war stories, then you’ll appreciate it more than I did.

4. Weight – Jeanette Winterson
Jeanette is one of my favourite all time authors so naturally I
had to read Weight. It wasn’t easy to get into and I almost put it aside. Once it got hold of me, I was thrilled by the timeless questions it posed and by the end of the book, I was so glad that I did not put it aside.

5. Giovanni’s room – James Baldwin
This was one of Jane’s favourites and so I read it on her
recommendation. It is beautifully written even though a little outdated, set in Paris, it’s the story (memoir) of a doomed affair of the heart and soul.

UNFINISHED READS… (not my thing) :

1. Madlands – Rosemund J Handler
The story of Carla Jensen who is diagnosed with
bipolar disorder – I got just more than halfway through before giving it up. I found the writing childlike and the story rather self-indulgent and in the end did not really care about her (Carla’s) journey through her madlands…

2. I Lucifer (finally the other side of the story) – Glen Duncan
I thought I’d enjoy this book, being a lover of clever prose.
But instead, I found the ramblings of Satan rather verbose (although also funny), I found it hard to follow the author's long narratives and stay on top of what point was being made or where 'Satan' was going with the lecture. This made the book inaccessible to me.

READS IN PROGRESS:
Time Traveller’s Wife – Audrey Niffenegger


READS ON THE LIST FOR THIS YEAR (so far) :
1. The Accidental – Ali Smith
2. The Mistress of Spices - Chitra Divakaruni
3. Dance - Haruki Murakami
4. Wind up Bird Chronicle - Haruki Murakami
5. Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman - Haruki Murakami
6. PJ Harvey :Siren Rising - James R. Blandford

2 comments:

Zapruder said...

It's clearly time I got into Haruki Murakami!

Tamarai said...

I'm not a big fan of Sarah Waters, I have to say. I did, however, love Fingersmith - as you know. thanks for the book tips!